Join our campaign to legislate Mandatory Barrier Inspections in Victoria!
Send an email to the Premier of Victoria & Planning Minister to let them know you support our campaign. Simply copy and paste the following words:
Dear Premier/Planning Minister,
As a Victorian, I care about toddler safety in backyard pools and spas.
I endorse SPASA's Pool and Spa Safety Campaign and demand that you immediately legislate Mandatory Barrier Inspections in this State in order to save lives.
Let the government know you support Mandatory Barrier Inspections in Victoria NOW!
Remember the Facts
- The Victorian government’s solution to toddler drowning is to introduce a retrospective 4-sided barrier regime for all pools & spas
- The majority of toddlers who have died in Victorian pools in the past 15 years have died in pools with 4-sided barriers
- Western Australia has had Mandatory Barrier Inspections (MBI) of private pools since 1992 & have reduced their rate of toddler fatalities by 80%
- Yet our State government is still not considering MBIs
- Multiple Victorian Coroners, the World Health Organisation, Lifesaving Victoria, Kidsafe, the Municipal Surveyors of Vic & SPASA all call for MBIs
- Multiple reports from Victorian Councils show the average fail-rate of pool barriers in Victoria is 80%+
- The fundamental problem in Victoria is clearly a lack of ongoing pool barrier maintenance
- In the past 15 years, Victoria has seen 22 toddlers drown in backyard pools. On average, for every fatality, there are around 6 non-fatal drownings. Most of those toddlers have ongoing brain injury.
Total: 22 dead plus 60+ with permanent mental impairment
We continue to call on the Victorian Government to pass legislation to:
1. Immediately make pool barrier compliance certification mandatory for all properties sold or leased in Victoria
2. Introduce a mandatory barrier inspection protocol that ensures all residential properties with a pool or spa in Victoria are inspected every three years